Special Prayer Targets: Marriage Ruling
June 26, 2015
If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do? Psalm 11:3
After I looked things over, I stood up and said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, "Don't be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes." Neh 4:14 NIV
But the plan of the Lord stands forever, the designs of his heart through all generations. Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear him, upon those who count on his mercy, to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive through famine. May your mercy, Lord, be upon us; as we put our hope in you. Ps 33:17-22
Dear Praying Friends,
Today the U.S. Supreme Court issued a sweeping decision, mandating that all 50 states and U.S. Territories redefine marriage to allow homosexual men to "marry" men and lesbian women to "marry" women. The decision demonstrates a contempt for the individual states and 50 million citizens who ratified constitutional amendments defining marriage as between a man and a woman. It defies nature and strikes at what major religions of the world hold sacred. It rejects the Judeo-Christian principles upon which our nation was founded and of the Founders themselves, who never in their wildest imaginations considered such a thing. Moreover the Court has defied our Creator, the Supreme Judge of the World, Whom our founders declared the Author of our "unalienable rights."
Family Research Council President Tony Perkins issued a statement, excerpted here:
Five justices on the Supreme Court have overturned the votes of 50 million Americans and demanded that the American people walk away from millennia of history and the reality of human nature.
In reaching a decision so lacking in foundation in the text of the Constitution, in our history, and in our traditions, the Court has done serious damage to its own legitimacy.
No court can overturn natural law. Nature and Nature's God, hailed by the signers of our Declaration of Independence as the very source of law, cannot be usurped by the edict of a court, even the United States Supreme Court.
Marriage is rooted not only in human history, but also in the biological and social reality that children are created by, and do best when raised by, a mother and a father. No court ruling can alter this truth.
It is folly for the Court to think that it has resolved a controversial issue of public policy. By disenfranchising 50 million Americans, the Court has instead supercharged this issue.
Just as with Roe v. Wade in 1973, the courts will not have the final say on this profound social matter. The American people will stand up for their right to have a voice and a vote, especially as they experience the ways in which redefining marriage fundamentally impairs their freedom to live and work in accordance with their beliefs.
With this ruling, the Supreme Court has set our government on a collision course with America's cherished religious freedoms, explicitly guaranteed in the First Amendment of the Constitution.
Americans will not stop standing for transcendent truth, nor accept the legitimacy of this decision. Truth is not decided by polls or the passage of time, but by the One who created time and everything that exists therein.
We will not lapse into silence but will continue to speak uncompromisingly for the truth about what marriage is, always has been, and always will be: the union of one man and one woman.
Five Supreme Court Justices have acted hastily and unwisely. Like King Uzziah, they have crossed the line (2 Chron. 26). They and all of America will face profound consequences. We must understand that God has called us for such a time as this. This is not a time for Christians, both pastors and people, to shrink back or to be quiet. On this matter we must take an unyielding stand on God's truth. It may be costly, but like Martin Luther, each of us must unreservedly declare: "Here I stand; I can do no other. God help me."
- Pray for our pastors and denominational leaders that they, like Azariah the Priest (2 Chron. 26), will be courageous to stand against this overreach by the Court and its illegitimate ruling, that they will not be double-minded nor timid, but will speak the Word plainly and will lead their people with great wisdom and resolve (2 Chr 26:16-21; Josh 1:8-9).
- Pray for America's Governors and Attorneys General that they will be courageous and stand for the truth and law based on God's law. In a divided nation with a large percentage of our people, especially young people, confused over this matter, this is not going to be an easy stand. Every leader needs our prayers! (2 Chronicles 32:7; Dan 6:6-27)
- Pray for the Christian Colleges, Schools and Christian ministries of every kind that their leaders will not succumb and bow the knee to Baal by compromising the Christian faith to keep their tax exemption, which the Obama administration's Solicitor General admitted "will be an issue" (2 Samuel 12:1-14; Romans 11:4).
- Pray for believers in every sphere of American culture whose faith will be gravely tested in the days ahead, for county clerks who will be called upon to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, and for employers and employees who will be pressured to celebrate same sex marriage (Eph 6:10-20; 1 Peter 4:12).
- Pray for Tony Perkins and the FRC Staff, each of whom is committed to standing. Pray that God will give us grace, wisdom, and a wide platform to keep the truth of God as it applies to this and other public policy matters known and understood. And pray that our audience will be enlightened, encouraged and enabled to take their stand! (2 Cor 1:12; Eph 6:14-20)
- Pray that God will use this terrible decision for good and that it will strengthen the backbone of the Church, that God's people will proclaim the truth as never before, that our churches will experience revival and America will see a great awakening! And May God be Glorified! (Mt 5:43-45; 1 Cor 6:9-12)
- Finally, I pray that you will join us on Sunday for Call2Fall! Humbling ourselves, praying like we have never prayed before, seeking God's Face and Turning from our wicked ways for ourselves, our families, and our nation. Join us on Sunday and may we continue without ceasing, until the Lord returns! (Our Nation's Hope - 2 Chr 7:14)
Finally, I urge you to follow Tony Perkins' Washington Update daily, to listen to his radio program each evening at 5 PM ET (the archived programs allow you to listen at your convenience). Every believer must be educated and conversant about this issue, for the sake of teaching our children and grandchildren and possibly to defend ourselves and our faith when the test comes to us!